16 Feb 2013

Review - Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013)


Director: John Luessenhop
Writer: Adam Marcus, Debra Sullivan
Stars: Alexandra Daddario, Tania Raymonde, Trey Songz
Running Time: 92 mins
Sub-Genre: Slasher
Release: 4th January 2013

After the first massacre in 1974, the townspeople suspected that the Sawyer family were responsible. A vigilante mob of enraged locals surrounded the Sawyer house, burning it to the ground and killing every last member of the family. Decades later a young woman named Heather learns that she has inherited a Texas estate from her grandmother. she decides to bring her friends along on the road trip to invesitgate her inheritance. On arrival she uncovers she has inherited a mansion but is yet to uncover the terrors that lurk in the basement below it.


Texas Chainsaw (or 3D for all the lucky American Blu-Ray owners) was released late May, and you bet your bottom dollar I went and grabbed myself a copy despite not being a big fan of it when it was released; but it's what I do, I was set from the get-go with buying this when released, and believe me I did not regret the £10 I payed for this.

The content is all there, but the delivery was off...way off. I don't blame the writing team behind this project for the slightly unexpected fail of the project with audiences world-wide, but Luessenhop for delivering an inept suspense slasher, and believe me when I say this, when you watch the extras, you will see that all the ingredients were there to make a great slasher sequel, but Luessenhop failed to bring them to live on screen.

All this negativity makes it sound like I didn't enjoy the film, which I did, but I think it was more of the case were it was so bad it was good. Annoyingly, Chainsaw could have been so much better, I mean the pieces were all there it was just down to creating a complete puzzle that slacked. Scenes like the carnival was a complete wasted opportunity, it actually annoys me how much more could have been done and wasn't; placed in the hands of Joss Whedon that scene could have been remarkable. As for the characters, you couldn't have got more cliche, which is kinda the running theme of the film anyways; an hour and a half of pure cliche. A Bad thing? Sure, but was the film fun? Yes.

Chainsaw may not be Shaun of the DeadThe Cabin in the Woods or even Scream in terms of how fun it is, but it's that sort of fun were you can completely take the piss out of the film, it's characters, it's common sense and it's cheesy one-liners. "Welcome to Texas Mother F**ker", oh and "Do your thing cuz"... I cringed to my very bone. Constantly shouting at the screen and laughing at the endless dumb-ass character decisions is only half of what makes this experience fun, and sitting with friends, food and drink enhances the credibility even more. I mean how you could you not like a film that engages you for the good or bad, that's just a sign that it's a good movie experience. Daddario's frequent skin display is sure to involve any teenage boy and guys alike, and a particular scene where she has constant near nipple-slips; what's not to like. As for the ending, well don't even get me started on that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...