7 Jun 2013

'V/H/S/2' Review

Searching for a missing student, two private investigators break into his house and find collection of VHS tapes. Viewing the horrific contents of each cassette, they realize there may be dark motives behind the student's disappearance. V/H/S/2, unlike the first only has 5 tapes (including the boring one were they find and watch the "real" tapes) which at first doesn't seem much compared to the previous film, but if anything, it's better; it simply means that you can stuff a great idea with more great moments which make the viewing that bit more pleasurable.

The first tape, Tape 49 opens the film, and closes it, and comes from the man behind You're Next (My most anticipated movie this year). Next which is actually the first of the segments is Clinical Trails Phase 1, done by the director of You're Next and A Horrible Way To Die. A Ride in the Park follows which was done from the team behind The Blair Witch Project; Then comes Safe Haven, the guy behind The Raid, and finally ended with the self-explanatory Slumber Party Alien Abduction, from the mind behind Hobo With A Shotgun. As you can see, this is a pretty educated and talented bunch of film-makers V/H/S/2 has got going on here, but did there talent shine? Or did they miss the mark?

The Good: Instead of taking my usual root on reviewing the good and bad, i'm instead going to talk strictly about the segments... as expected obviously. So let's start off with Clinical Phase 1, which overall was a decent short, definitely led through it's strong, The Eye inspired premise, which is actually the strongest aspect of the segment. Although it doesn't quite hold up the standard of the rest of the segments, it settles down well as an opener, as it only means things get better from there. It's scary, it's fresh and it screams future, maybe this could happen in the future, maybe, but it's not that good to make me think about it.

A Ride in the Park is one of my favorite segments. Why? well because it takes something so simple and spins it around, changing perspectives and making something so tedious and generic, fun and amusing. What makes this segment so good is how it not only up's the fun, but it increases the gore from the previous entry, and the fact that it is something so simple done through different eyes (or a camera attached to a bike helmet, pfft, same thing.). Spoiler here people, but the best aspect is the whole 'What  it would be like to be a Zombie for a day'; I mean whats not to love about following a zombie through it's journey, watching a kiddies party turn red and witnessing intestines being pulled right before your eyes; it's so simple, yet pure genius!

Now, out of all the segments, Save Haven is the most f****d up! Trust me when I say this, you will find yourself thinking "WTF?!" at some point of the segment. I definitely found it the most strange and confusing of the selection, yet the most inventive. Again, if this segment wasn't inventive then it would have been nothing, with a plot this complex i'm surprised they hadn't tried to make it into a full length feature! Although it wasn't my favorite of them all, I found that it was the most intriguing and certainly the most bizarre, and to me, V/H/S needs to be bizarre, that's what makes it work, so this entry just slips right in perfectly and feels right at home. Be prepared for some glorious gore and a killer 10 minutes.

Last, but certainly not the least was The Slumber Party Alien Abduction which happened to be my favorite of them all, which was unlike me (sci-fi just ain't my scene). I'm not quite sure what it was that stood out for me, but what I can say is that it was fun, it was an adrenaline rush, it was intense and it was scary; and not scary in an Insidious type of way, but more like The Fourth Kind or Signs scary. I loved it from start to finish, it's wit, how it's finger is on the youth's pulse, and how surprisingly fun it was to watch; yeah it was weird and very freaky but it never lost the fun styled it established from the start, and the doggy-cam was a great idea when making the aliens look scarier and  action more intense. I can't say enough good things about the final segment, but before I move on, i have to stated that the ending for me was an improvement over the previous entry despite how familiar it seemed, it worked and actually, it was quite smart and scary.

The Bad: I found that with Tape 49, nothing really happened until the end, and I know that it was the opener and it's supposed to be the one that introduces each segment, but I felt as if they could have done something more with this, aside from the ending, it was pretty drab.

I found a few problems with the first segment, the biggest being that it was a little tedious and underwhelming. With an idea like that so much could have been done, but it just felt like the bare minimum was done which was a shame, but it was and I knew not to expect much from it but so much more could have been done with that premise, but aside from a couple of scares and the ending, Clinical Phase 1 was just... average.

There was little that I actually didn't like with A Ride in the Park as it was to me pure genius and fun, but what I did notice, that for a zombie, it has a lot of human qualities, and with the zombies I grew up with and even through The Walking Dead, they have no human emotions, (SPOILER!!!) So why does the zombie walk over to a gun, pick it up and blow his own brains out instead of walking across the road and munching on a 14 year old? That, I don't get.

Safe Haven to me went on too long, yeah, it was really good, but they could have made things move slightly faster. Plus, why would you make a complicated story and then base the segment in China? I found it hard to understand enough without having to read subtitles thank you very much, like what was the problem that they couldn't have based it in America? Fair enough, we do all know how weird the Chinese are in movies so I suppose it works, but if your going to make something complicated  don't add to the complication please by adding a new language.
Ahh, Slumber Party Alien Abduction, what can I say, aside from it not lasting long enough, I had no other problems with it.

VERDICT: V/H/S/2 surpasses the previous entry on so many levels, this time around, it's fun, it's scary, it's inventive, it's intense and it's goddamn entertaining! each segment is filled to the brim with invention, and although this may not be the best horror of 2013, it was still a bloody good watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...