10 Aug 2013

'Sharknado' Review

Director: Anthony C. Ferrante
Writer: Thunder Levin
Stars: Ian Ziering, Tara Reid, John Heard, Cassie Scerbo, Jaason Simmons

While a freak hurricane invades Los Angeles whilst the waters become infested with sharks, the entire city becomes flooded and over-run by sharks, and as the two combine, a vicious hurricane tears up the city, hurling sharks, and a group of smart survivors try to put an end to the shark infested tornado.

This is the honest truth, I can't make heads or tales with Sharknado; I mean...wow. Were do I start?... Ok, I'm ready. Sharknado, Syfy's newest phenomenon that took America by storm premiered on the UK Syfy channel a few days back, and being prepared for this experience due to having it on record, I watched it when I was ready for it, and still, I was shocked; for both good and bad reasons.

Though I wasn't expecting much from Sharknado, maybe that's why I was slightly but pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong, this is a terrible movie, it really is, but it's so god damn daft that it becomes extremely fun. Yes, that's right, it's fun, judge me all you want because trust me, i'm already judging myself for liking it as much as I did, but I have to say, it's by far my guilty pleasure of 2013. Don't worry i'm not telling you to go out and see this movie because it should only be a movie experienced with true enthusiasm, and if you have no interest in watching it, then give it a miss. However, I couldn't get over it's hilariously dumb design, and that reason alone kept me watching it to the bitter end.

Would I recommend Sharknado? Well it depends on how you decide to watch it really. Alone, give it a miss; With friends, a whole different movie experience; believe me it's true. Watching it with company enhances the ridiculousness of the overall movie, I mean you would be able to identify its horribly funny moments alone, but they wouldn't really effect you like they would if you were to watch it with friends; it's just one of those movies really.

Moving on to the biggest problem with Syfy's Sharknado, the horrendously laughable attempt at CGI. I don't think I have ever laughed as much at CGI as much as I did watching this, and as ugly and computer-gamed it can be, the movie just wouldn't be as fun as it was if the effects were good, and as dumb as that may sound, it's true and it's all part of the playful experience Sharknado provides. Have I seen worse CGI? yeah maybe, but the effects in this are so woeful that it's literally impossible to take this movie remotely serious; that may be the creators goal as it certainly worked.

With every bad movie comes bad acting, and Sharknado has the acting talent of a pantomime, and with a completely awful performance from Tara Reid, you wonder how she ever got a job in the first place. Again, this is yet another perk that makes this movie so bad it's good. As stale as some of the performances may be, the ones that stand out the most was the complete over acting from Ian Ziering which enhanced the comedy aspect of the movie. What can I say, for a talented cast, they certainly know how to make a movie funnier.

The narrative doesn't get a look in it's that bad, but as for the layout, well it was almost like stages of a game, level by level the characters must survive the task set ahead; it was just too formulaic for it's own good, and although it made for a fun experience,  it caused for a lot of pointless characters and decisions that were unacceptable even for a movie of this standard. In saying this, I would rather that than extended dialogue scenes, and you do not want to get me started on the dialogue.

VERDICT: What ever way you look at it, good or bad, Sharknado makes for a ridiculous movie experience, and as fun as it may have been, I can't see me giving this one another watch anytime soon. You ready for Sharknado 2: The Second One? I don't think I will be for a while...



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...