25 Sep 2013

Insidious: Chapter 2

Director: James Wan
Writers: James Wan, Leigh Whannell
Stars: Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne, Barbara Hershey
Running Time: 106 mins
Sub-Genre: Supernatural, Thriller
Release: September 2013

The haunted Lambert family seeks to uncover the mysterious childhood secret that has left them dangerously connected to the spirit world.Insidious: Chapter 2 is a 2013 American supernatural horror film directed by James Wan. It is a sequel to 2011's Insidious. The film stars Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne reprising their roles as Josh and Renai Lambert










Insidious: Chapter 2, the follow-up to the hit, yet quite annoying supernatural flick Insidious that was released back in 2011, directed by the ghost master James Wan who handled The Conjuring, Dead Silence and of course Chapter 2. Finally getting to see this film (sorry for the delay) and not being very excited about it, I actually managed to make it through this film in one piece, and as much as I wanted that to happen, I was extremely disappointed with the lack of effect Chapter 2 had on me and the complete lack of interest I had when watching it; to say the least, I didn't like it... at all.

Insidious: Chapter 2, one of 2013's most anticipated horror's went down for me like a led balloon, and boy did that sink. After The Conjuring's large success at the box office and with originality and scares, I didn't have high hopes for Chapter 2 being some substantial considering that it was apparent Wan put all his best work in The Conjuring judging by trailers alone. I was right, and to be honest, I don't think I have ever been more right about anything before. Stood next to the first, it looks feeble, stood next to The Conjuring, it looks like Paranormal Activity 4 to Paranormal Activity 1; I mean the difference in standard is shocking, especially coming from the same director.

Wan has talent, we all know this, it is no secret, that man knows how to scare an audience and how to do it effectively, but somehow Chapter 2 feels like his lazy work, and this film experience alone is a clear indication for why he is moving away from the horror genre as that man has evidently run out of creative juice. Sure, Dead Silence may not have been good by any means, but it was scary and it worked; Insidious 2 was putrid, derivative and cheesy to an unbearable extent.

Lacking all the qualities that made the first bearable to watch, Chapter 2 is a run-down, over-packed cliche-fest that would only do justice to those who loved the first, and people like me who didn't care for Insidious will find this as scareless and tacky and one of the Treehouse of Horror episodes from The Simpsons, the difference is, is that The Simpsons is deliberate comedy. Expecting something big is what causes most of the failure with Chapter 2, and although at times it  sparks intelligence, it can't help itself from becoming a cheesy 80's romp with campy acting and tasteless dialogue. If that's your thing dig right in, if it isn't then avoid this; oh, then i'd avoid Sharknado also...

The first Insidious wasn't exactly "simple", but it was consistent in its scares and delivery; Chapter 2 is none of those things, it's messy, clunky, and it isn't as scary as it could have been by any means, to make matters worse, it even lacked jump scares, so what you're left with is a big, cluttered, pitiful mess that could frighten just the weakest of movie watchers, and do nothing for the horror fans, leaving them screaming at the screen, not with fear but with laughter.

Perhaps I am being a little too harsh, I mean I did enjoy myself but for all the wrong reasons, I mean me and two of my friends went and seen this last night  and although one of them couldn't stop jumping, the other and I laughed and joked the whole way through the movie, taking digs at it's horrendously cheesy dialogue, jokes and scares. I didn't enjoy the film but I enjoyed what it brought, and that was a lot of laughter that made a for a good time. Drunk, then perhaps this experience would have been a hell of a lot better, but going causally with friends with only have you laughing and cringing, mostly at the same time.

VERDICT: Despite an intelligent plot twist and a perfect tie-up with the story, Insidious Chapter 2 brings nothing to the table that we haven't seen before. Scareless, embarrassingly cheesy and incredibly tasteless, Chapter 2 represents everything bad and unnecessary about today's horror sequels. Chapter 3? Oh lord no.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...